On the newest episode of My Cooking Guest for my ongoing collaboration with Fresh Up Your Life, YouTuber Briller and I have some fun in the kitchen with the furry green fruit! You can find the video on my Instagram videos. Enjoy.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (150 g) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (or substitute with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup yogurt, and 1 tsp lemon juice)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp (40 g) butter, melted
- 3 kiwis, peeled and thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil (for griddle)
- extra butter (for serving)
- maple syrup
For 5 large or 10 small pancakes
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda and powder.
In another bowl, whisk together the milk, yogurt, lemon, egg, and melted butter. Dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just blended, but do not over mix.
Heat a spoonful of oil in a large nonstick griddle or skillet over a medium flame. When skillet is hot, pour a ladleful of batter into skillet then press 3 or 4 kiwi slices into the batter. Flip when edges dry and bubbles start to form in the middle, about 2 to 3 minutes. The bottoms should be browned. Cook the other side until browned, about 2 minutes longer. Repeat with remaining batter and serve immediately with leftover fresh kiwi slices, a pat of butter, and abundant maple syrup.