Soft, fluffy, and easy to make, these dinner rolls were an instant favorite of our house. You can make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate overnight, or freeze to have freshly baked rolls on-demand!
Soft and Fluffy Dinner Rolls
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon hot, whole milk (about 105°F)
- 1 packet (7 g) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, and cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups plus 3 tablespoons (450 g) all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for greasing bowl
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing
For 12 – 15 rolls
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Stir together the warm milk, yeast, and 1 Tablespoon of sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (or in a bowl with a wooden spoon). Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add the other 1 tablespoon sugar, egg, butter pieces, salt, and flour. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat on medium speed until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 2 minutes. If the dough seems too wet, you may add a little more flour 1 Tablespoon at a time, until you have a workable dough, though it should still be soft and a little sticky. Keep kneading on medium speed for another 3-5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and shiny.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl lightly greased with vegetable oil, turn to coat. Cover and set aside to rise until double in size, about 1 – 2 hours.
- Brush a 9×13 inch baking pan or two 9-inch square or round baking pans with about half of the melted butter; set aside the remaining butter for brushing baked rolls. When the dough has risen, pour it out onto a lightly flour-dusted work surface and cut it into 12 – 15 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball and arrange in the prepared baking pan, seam-side down. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until puffy, about 1 hour.
- Adjust oven rack to a lower position and preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top, rotating the pan after about 10 minutes. If they start to brown too much, you may tent the pan with aluminum foil. Remove rolls from the oven and immediately brush with remaining melted butter. Let cool for a few minutes before serving, then serve warm. Store rolls in a plastic ziplock bag at room temperature for 2-3 days (though they’re best served fresh).