5 Minute Apple and Almond Cake
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 1/3 cup (200 g) almonds
- 1 1/2 cup (200 g) all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup (170 g) butter, plus more for buttering pan
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
For 1, 9 inch cake
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
Set aside half of the apple cubes for the decoration, transfer the other half to a food processor. Add almonds, flour, butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the surface with a rubber spatula and scatter the remaining apple cubes over the surface, pressing lightly with your hands. Sprinkle the surface of the cake evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.