I am in love with this super-simple, pillow-soft, blueberry-studded Spring cake. It comes together in a flash and is the perfect showcase for the season’s bright berries.
Soft Blueberry Cake
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar, plus 2 Tbsp for sprinkling berries
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (70 ml) yogurt
- the grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pound (450 g) blueberries
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 10-inch pie plate or cake pan. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
Beat together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, yogurt, lemon zest and juice.
Gradually mix in flour mixture with a rubber spatula. Do not overmix. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange blueberries on top of batter. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
Bake cake 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C). Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 45-50 more minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.