You must try this recipe for my favorite cold-weather concoction! A full-bodied red wine is flavored with aromatic spices and a hint of sweet, which make it dangerously easy-to-drink…
Vin Brulé (Italian Mulled Wine)
- 1/3 cup (65 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- juice of 1 orange (use a vegetable peeler to create the strips of zest, being careful to make them thin and avoiding the bitter white pith)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1 bottle of full-bodied red wine
- 1 small slice fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 whole star anise
- 10 whole allspice berries
- 5 whole black peppercorns
In a non-reactive, heavy pot, mix the sugar with orange and lemon zest, orange juice, and spices.
Heat the mixture over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves, about 4-5 minutes. Lower the heat to low and add the wine. Bring to just a bare simmer and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to let the wine boil.
Strain and pour into mugs, garnish with an orange slice or stick of cinnamon if desired. Serve hot.