Here is a quick recipe for beautiful vegetarian (or vegan!) club sandwich, packed full of nutrients and bursting with color. Healthy-eating experts teach us to “eat the rainbow,” which means we should pay attention to incorporating different colored fruits and vegetables in our daily diet for a higher nutrient and vitamin intake. This sandwich is a great way to start embracing more rainbows in your life. Enjoy!
Vegan Rainbow Club Sandwich
- 3 slices of whole-wheat sandwich bread
- half of one ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of roasted beet hummus (recipe follows)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 leaves of iceberg lettuce
- mixed sprouts (alfalfa, soy, beet etc)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- mayonnaise, mustard or other sauces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 decorative toothpicks
For 1 sandwich
Toast the bread until golden. Slice the avocado and drizzle with lemon juice and salt.
Line up the three slices of bread on a cutting board, with the cheese-covered slice in the middle. Spread the beet hummus on the first slice of bread, then top with grated carrots, lettuce, salt and pepper. On the second slice of bread, spread some mayonnaise and arrange the avocado slices on top, add the sprouts some slices of tomato, salt and pepper. Carefully set the second slice of bread (veggie-side up) on top of the first slice of bread. Spread the third slice of bread with mayonnaise and more beet hummus and use this to close the sandwich (hummus-side down, of course). Stick the toothpicks through the sandwich to hold it together and cut into triangles. Serve immediately.
Roasted Beet Hummus
- half of one roasted beet, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups (250 g) cooked chickpeas (you can use 1 15-oz can)
- juice from one half of a lemon
- zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-vergine olive oil
Blend together all of the ingredients until smooth. Add a tablespoon of water if necessary to obtain desired consistency. Serve.