This is a simple yet show-stopping salad recipe from one of my favorite blogs: Smitten Kitchen. You’ll love the balance of flavors and textures: the sticky-sweet dates, crispy cabbage, and soft, savory feta cheese. Enjoy!
Date, Feta and Red Cabbage Salad
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds (500 g) red cabbage (1 small head or half of a large one), sliced very thin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- Salt and red pepper flakes (I used the mild Aleppo variety) to taste
- 1/2 cup (about 90 g) pitted dates, coarsely chopped or sliced
- 4 ounces (about 100 g) feta, crumbled into chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons well-toasted sesame seeds
Serves 4 to 6 as a side
Toss cabbage with olive oil and first tablespoons of lime juice, plus salt and pepper, coating leaves evenly. Taste and add more lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. I do this a few times, making sure I really get this base well seasoned because it will be hard to do it as well later.
Toss dressed cabbage gently with half of dates and feta. Sprinkle with remaining dates, then feta, then parsley and sesame seeds. Dig in.
Do ahead: The whole salad can sit assembled for at least an hour, or longer if refrigerated.