I’m living off of salads on these hot summer days when there is absolutely no convincing me to even boil a pot of water. This delicious, protein-and-vegetable-packed salad is a perfect summer recipe. I usually suggest cooking your own beans, but given the recent heat wave I strongly recommend you go with the canned variety. You’ll still break a sweat opening the cans, but it’s nothing like suffering over a boiling pot of beans for hours on end!
Black bean and chickpea salad
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 – 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 1 pint (270 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
Stir together the ingredients for the dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
In a separate bowl, toss the chickpeas, black beans, red onion, tomatoes and diced cucumber together. Pour dressing over and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.