I’m living off of salads on these hot summer days when there is absolutely no convincing me to even boil a pot of water. This delicious, protein-and-vegetable-packed salad is a perfect summer recipe. I usually suggest cooking your own beans, but given the recent heat wave I strongly recommend you go with the canned variety. You’ll still break a sweat opening the cans, but it’s nothing like suffering over a boiling pot of beans for hours on end!
Black bean and chickpea salad
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 – 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 1 pint (270 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
Stir together the ingredients for the dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
In a separate bowl, toss the chickpeas, black beans, red onion, tomatoes and diced cucumber together. Pour dressing over and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Yes ma’am! This sounds perfect & is simple enough that even I can try! Happy 4th of July ! XO