Traditionally a German Christmastime treat, these adorable little spice cookies are also extremely popular in the states around the holidays.
- 2 1/4 cups (300 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 115 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (90 g) molasses
- 1 1/4 (180 g) cups powdered sugar
For about 48 cookies
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a medium bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Beat together the butter sugar, and molasses on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and mix well. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Roll dough into 1 1/4-inch balls and place them on parchment-lined baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
Bake until cookies are golden, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool for about 10 minutes before coating in powdered sugar. Set aside to cool completely before serving.