These sweet, soft little cookies are dead-simple to make, and they literally melt in your mouth!
Almond Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup (230 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (110 g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (260 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
For about 30 cookies
Beat the butter and powdered sugar until smooth, then beat in the almond extract and the egg. Gradually stir in the flour, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt. Mix in the ground almonds.
Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll into bite-sized balls (about 1 inch in diameter). Place them on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until just beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool before eating.
Cookies will keep in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.