Here is another fun recipe I created as a limited edition for the Food Truck Nation for the USA Pavilion at Expo. This lime cupcake is a refreshing summertime treat with a pretty color and bright flavor. Enjoy!
Key Lime Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups (200 g) cake flour
- 1 tsp (7 g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 g) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 stick (1/2 cup, 115 g) butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (140 g) sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- a few drops of green food coloring
Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl to blend. In a separate bowl, stir together the milk, lime juice and zest. Set aside.
Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add one third of the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Add half of the milk mixture and a few drops of green coloring and beat until barely blended. Continue to alternate the flour mixture and milk, beating just until blended after each addition.
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups so that each is about two-thirds full. Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center of each comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to rack and let cool completely before frosting.
Cream cheese and lime frosting
- 8 ounces (226 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup (125 g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- grated lime zest, for decoration
Beat or blend the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and beat until incorporated and smooth, then add the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy (2-3 minutes). Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes.