Ladies and gentlemen, I’d like you to meet the ultimate summer salad. I was skeptical of using watermelon in a savory dish, afraid it would clash with the other flavors, but its sweetness is tempered beautifully by the salty cheese and olives, making for a perfectly balanced and delightfully fresh summer salad.
Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad
- 1 small red onion
- red or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 lb (680 g) ripe watermelon
- 1 bunch (about 3 cups) baby arugula
- 7 oz (200 g) feta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup pitted black (kalamata) olives
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 bunch fresh mint (chopped)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Peel the red onion, cut in half and slice into thin strips. Lay the onion slices in a shallow dish and cover with vinegar, set aside.
Cut the watermelon into small cubes, discarding the seeds and rind. Arrange the arugula in the bottom of a large serving dish and cover with the watermelon, feta and black olives. Drain and rinse the sliced onion and add to the salad.
Whisk together the olive oil, the lemon juice, the chopped mint and the salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss briefly. Taste and adjust flavors as necessary. Serve immediately.