I’ve been making lots of cupcakes lately. Between birthdays, lessons and tea-time decorating sessions, I’ve baked probably hundreds in the past few weeks! The following recipe is, by far, my favorite to date. It contains all sorts of naughty ingredients: butter, sugar, banana, peanut butter and cream cheese… what could be better? Sprinkle with salted, toasted peanuts and chocolate flakes and they become as pretty as they are delicious!
Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups (160 g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 very ripe large bananas, peeled
- 1/2 cup (130 g) sour cream (or substitute: 1/4 cup heavy cream mixed with 1/4 cup yogurt and a teaspoon of lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (110 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) powdered sugar
- 1 8-ounce package (225 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick (115 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 g) smooth peanut butter
- Chopped lightly salted roasted peanuts and chocolate flakes for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to blend.
3. Mash bananas with fork in another medium bowl until smooth. Mix sour cream (or substitute) and vanilla into bananas.
4. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and egg yolk and beat until well blended.
5. Add one third of the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Add half of the banana-sour cream mixture and beat until barely blended. Continue to alternate the flour mixture and banana mixture, beating just until blended after each addition.
6. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups (generous 1/4 cup for each). Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center of each comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to rack and let cool completely.
Sift powdered sugar into large bowl. Add cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter. Using electric mixer, beat mixture until smooth.
Spread frosting over top of cupcakes, dividing equally. Sprinkle lightly with chopped peanuts, if desired.
Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Ciao Sara! Per “cream cheese” intendo il formaggio spalmabile tipo Philadelphia. Vedi la ricetta in italiano qui https://www.unamericanaincucina.com/it/2010/12/cupcakes-alla-banana/
ciao, volevo sapere come posso sostituire la CREAM CHEESE perche non riesco a trovarla vivendo in italia… grazie mille. Sara