It’s hot. Really, really hot. One of the many habits I’ve adopted from Italians is an unhealthy obsession with the weather, and in a country where a hot day will make the front-page headlines, I have been unable to talk (or think) about anything else for this sweltering last week. So if you were expecting to find a recipe that required any oven or stove-top heat, sorry! It’s just not going to happen this time. What you will find is a cool and refreshing chilled soup, that’s a breeze to throw together and requires only the flick of a blender switch. Serve with a cold glass of white wine and enjoy in front of a fan, preferably while discussing the heat.
Chilled Avocado, Cucumber & Mint Soup
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, diced and de-seeded
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced (save some for garnish, if desired)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped italian parsley
- 1 green onion, coarsely chopped
- a handful of fresh mint leaves
- lime juice from 2 limes or more, to taste
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup cold water
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine first 7 ingredients in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Begin slowly pouring in the water while processing until you reach the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.